The Bogibeel bridge was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on Dec 25, 2018 on the birth anniversary of Late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee which is celebrated as GOOD GOVERNANCE DAY.
Foundation stone was laid by former PM H D Deve Gowda on 22nd January 1997 but due to unknown reason work had begun on 21st April 2002 under BJP government led by Late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee and after 16 years, the mammoth was constructed and started serving to have serviceable life up to 120 years.
Strategic viewpoint before and after 2007-08
1,080 km border with China across the state of Arunachal Pradesh in the northeast is disputed, a dispute that led to a war between India and China in 1962.
Two viewpoints are given by Institute Of Defence security and analysis
- Arunachal Pradesh borders with Tibet is one of the most uncomfortable political issues for China and has not been resolved yet.
- Lack of roads in the state as a defence mechanism to stop Chinese troop movements into India’s heartland if China did a repeat of 1962 Which was quite a defensive strategic approach.
After 2007-8 policy change to offensive defence and nowadays we have started developing the bordering area with an approach offensive defence.
The Bogibeel Bridge has 4.9 km total length which makes it India’s longest rail cum road bridge and Asia second longest rail cum road bridge. Also, In the upper part, it has 3 lane road and at lower 2 lane rail line.
The Bogibeel Bridge connects the Southern Bank of the Brahmaputra river in Assam’s Dibrugarh district with Silapathar in Dhemaji district bordering Arunachal Pradesh. The bridge is located in Assam only.
North East region known for the earthquake-prone area because of this bridge is fully constructed with steel and concrete using The European cords and welding standard. So that it can withstand against earthquake magnitude up to 7 Richter scale.
How it is beneficial to civilian as well as the army?
- It is known as “lifeline of Assam”.
- It will reduce travel time up to 4 hours and up to 170 km between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Also, reduce train travel time between Delhi to Dibrugarh up to 3 hours.
- As well as, improve logistics along the border in Arunachal Pradesh.
2.DEFENCE FORCES BENEFITS
- Even fighter jet can land on it in case of an emergency.
- Furthermore, defence forces and their equipment also move quickly on this Bridge to reach Arunachal Pradesh from Assam’s Jorhat in just 4 to 5 hour if an emergency.